Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Skiing (and freezing) at Stowe!

We were gone all weekend skiing at Stowe. I had an orthopaedic work conference there. Yes, I realize the irony of a bunch of orthopaedic doctors and PA's discussing cases in which people fell down the mountain skiing and broke various bones or blew out ACL's. Yet, being the weirdo's we all are, we still headed out every day to ski! With specials on lift tickets and a beautiful stay at the Stowe Mountain Lodge, how could you not? One of the best weekends I've had in a while. Gorgeous place, ridiculously fun people, and built-in workouts! Ah yes, and some shots on ice luges and giant margarita ice sculptures full of margarita! Is it me, or is it getting crazy up in here?  But really, here is some photog evidence of pretty, winter Vermont and the resort:










Workout 1/25, 1/26, 1/27:
~ Skiing - 3-4 hours/day

I think that constitutes about 4 million calories burned. And did I mention it was barely above zero degrees? I think I get double points for all of the calories burned that my body spent trying to keep me warm on the lift.  Good news: I did not die. I only fell once. I was quite excited about this. I'm working very hard on improving my skiing, and since this is my first time out this year, I have nowhere to go but up!

You don't realize how much you use your hips/quads/ankle/arms/and essentially whole body skiing. I'm still sore, but in a good-I-worked-out-I-am-strong kind of way. Looking forward to next weekend when we head up to Maine with our friends for another weekend of skiing! Guess I'd better look up some ski-focused workouts for strength in addition to the running.  If anyone knows of any good ones, please let me know!

I would also like to take the time to introduce you to my little friend...the NuGo bar!  My little travel pack of crack. Nom nom nom! Delicious, protein-filled, and gluten-free. I eat them before workouts, for breakfast, pretty much whenever.  My favorite is the Dark Chocolate Pretzel with Sea Salt. A close second is the Dark Chocolate Mint.  No one paid me for this endorsement (although I wish they did with boxes of NuGo's!).

No comments:

Post a Comment