Monday, January 7, 2013

Spank!

Workout:
Rest - by accident

For some reason, I slept like crap last night. Serious crap. I even took a melatonin, since I've been having sleep issues for the past few nights. I just couldn't get comfortable. I have no idea what the problem was. Of course, I fell asleep just fine around 4am. Somehow that 6am wake up call didn't quite work out. Fail. I guess I'll have my hands full tomorrow at the gym and with pilates.  Not quite how I wanted to start Monday, that's for sure.

However, all of that was erased this evening during a fun night with some girlfriends. We went to the Wilbur Theater in Boston and saw "Spank! The Fifty Shades Parody." It's been 1.5 hours since the end of the show and my face is still hurting from laughing! It's a 3-person show with quick wit and an outright mock of the first book of the Fifty Shades trilogy. For those of us in the group who read the book, it was downright hilarious. There were a few ladies in our group who hadn't read the book, but still found the play to be quite funny. A little raunchy at times and a few moments of some Chippendale's action; perfect girl's night out!  They're touring all over the country through the summer, so check it out!

Since I ended up having wine and 4 edamame, 2 pieces of calamari, and 1 midget-size piece of "fancy" pizza for dinner, I will share with you my round 2 of home-cooking from yesterday. I came across the recipes in the January issue of Food&Wine magazine. It was actually the cover photo and looked so pretty on the cover, I decided I needed to make it.  I made the Spice-Rubbed Roast Chicken with 2 dipping sauces: Piri Piri Sauce and Wasakaka Sauce.  (The Piri Piri is on the right and the Wasakaka is on the left in the photo).

 All so fresh and so healthy!  Everything was very prep heavy, but easy to put together. Both of the sauces could be made ahead by a day and I would suggest doing so if you have the time.  The Piri Piri sauce was like a fresh salsa. We loved it, but next time I would decrease the amount of olive oil to 1/3 or even 1/4 of a cup and  substitute cilantro for the oregano. For both sauces we used red fresno chiles, which were comparable in heat to jalapenos. Both called for cayenne peppers, but there weren't any fresh at our local grocery store.  You could substitute in what you want, but I would stick with red peppers for the color component.  The Wasakaka sauce was perfect and I don't think I would change it, at least for now.

I paired the chicken with a recipe on my yoga teacher's website, Shredded Brussel Sprout and Kale Salad. We bought pre-shredded brussel sprouts from Trader Joe's, which saved a lot of prep time. We also modified the dressing a bit, using less of the mustard since GW isn't a huge fan, so it was more of a light vinaigrette.


The best thing about these dishes: awesome leftovers for work lunch the next day!!!  I just hope my patients didn't mind the post-lunch dragon breath from all of the garlic, oops.

I will end by saying this National Championship game was pathetic and I still hate Alabama. The countdown to Hawkeye and Gator football season 2013 is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment