Sunday, January 13, 2013

A lil salsa in my step

Workout:
- 4 mile run (~40 minutes)

My illness is over! Thank goodness!  I am not a fun sick person and quite frankly, too busy to be sick. I had a nice 4 mile twilight run tonight. Perfect weather too: a light breeze, 45 degrees. Yes, 45 degrees, in January, in Boston. AWESOME!  Now that I'm coming back to running on a regular basis, I'm beginning to notice things I had forgotten about or perhaps hadn't noticed at all. I don't know if other runners are like this, but I find the first 2 miles of my run, no matter how far, are the hardest. Once I'm past it, I feel like I could go forever (well, at least 3-5 more at this point), but I usually spend the first 2 miles questioning my mental status. It helps when I have people to watch to take my mind off of it. Tonight I spent part of my run going the 1.8 miles around the reservoir by our house and there are always people around. Unfortunately no one super interesting to pay attention to this evening and even the geese are gone, so I have nothing to run away from. I did get to dodge some of the BC students dragging their luggage down the sidewalk from the T and bus stops as they make their way back to campus for spring semester.  This means the screaming drunks are back, joy. Regardless, it was a great run and felt good to be out there!

With the warm weather, my menu plan was altered a bit. When it's this warm out, I don't want soup or heavy wintry meals. We had a few mangoes in our fridge that needed to be eaten and salmon in the freezer, so I decided to make mango salsa and top the salmon with it. Turned out better than I expected! As in, we ate about 3/4 of all of the salsa. Oops. At least it's fresh and all fruits/veggies???

Mango Salsa
by Me!
 
2 mangoes, diced
1 medium green pepper, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
2-3 Roma tomatoes diced
2-3 Jalapeno peppers, diced
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
A few pinches of crushed sea salt
 
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Eat with chips, top salmon, or eat by the spoonful - we did all 3!
 
The salmon was just broiled in the oven with some olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder. I didn't want it to overpower the salsa. Paired with a few spoonfuls of black beans, and a very filling an protein-filled meal!

1 comment:

  1. Same way with running for me. Takes a while for my body and mind to accept that it's going to have to keep running. I'm the boss, right? =)

    ReplyDelete