Monday, June 10, 2013

Touristing in Boston

Workout:
~Today: 0 miles, Rest Day
~Saturday: 2.5miles

 Today is the official start of Marathon Training! Which means, I get to rest! Who can be upset with a training schedule that starts that way? The running begins tomorrow. I will savor this moment, because I don't have a whole lot of them over the next 18 weeks.

This past weekend was a blur of awesomeness. One of my favorite people in the whole world and her hubs (another one of my favorites!) came to visit us in Boston. How much fun could you have in one weekend? We found out!  Despite torrential downpours, we hit up the Harpoon Brewery and their new beer hall in the Seaport District for some beer tasting and pretzels (the maple iced glaze something or other dip was out of this world).


A little rain didn't let us down as we had dinner in the North End and picked up the ever-so-famous Mike's Pastry cannoli's. Sorry, I am a fail and do not have a picture. Don't worry, I go there often enough, one will make it onto this blog before the end of the summer.

On Saturday the rain lifted! I even got a nice little 2.5 mile run around BC's campus in before we headed downtown. Our first stop, Marathon Sports on Boylston Street. Did I forget to mention all of us are runners? 45 minutes later, we all walked out with new running shoes. I must say, this is the first time I've actually been fitted for running shoes and it was the best idea ever. Since I work in orthopaedics, I know quite a bit. However, being not the most seasoned runner, my medical knowledge does not necessarily translate to shoe knowledge. Enter Marathon Sports Salesman. He was so knowledgeable and explained everything, from my freaking flat feet (this was not news to me) to why the Brooks Ariel shoes he fit me with provided me with the most stability (good and helpful news). For all of you flat foot people out there, you need stability shoes. Maybe not quite to the level of my messed up feet, but the low arch shoes aren't going to cut it and your ankles are going to rock around like crazy and your knees will hurt and you will basically fall apart and combust. Well, maybe not quite like that but the whole "your thigh bone's connected to the shin bone" song is actually based on a true story.

After the store, we saw the finish line as well as the memorial dedicated to the victims of 4.15.13. I had not been to it since the bombings happened and was definitely very touched. It's a wonderful place to reflect and see how much this tragic event touched so many people. There will be a permanent memorial at some point, but I kind of find this one more meaningful.


We spent the  evening wandering the sites of Boston. Here's a few pics:


Sunday was baseball day! Fenway is everything it's cracked up to be. Love coming to this ballpark! And we got to see a Red Sox win! A perfect day with close friends. I don't think I could ask for more.




No comments:

Post a Comment