Tuesday, June 11, 2013

First (Running) Day of Marathon Training!

Workout:
~Treadmill Run: 3miles, 10:20/mile
~Training miles: 3 miles

Although yesterday was the OFFICIAL start of marathon training, today was the first day of actual running. I was actually pretty excited to start. I'm looking forward to the challenges, physically and mentally. Please remind me I wrote this later in the summer when I'm running 7 miles before work at 5am. But all kidding aside, I am happy to begin this chapter and to push myself. It also helped that I had my brand new kicks to try out today:

My awesome shoes - Brooks Ariel's (Size 11, i.e. ginormous)
As I mentioned in my previous post, I went and got fitted for these shoes at Marathon Sports. I want to make sure I have the correct footwear for me before I start pounding the pavement. This has also been the recommendation of several books I've read and many of our running friends as well. I had hoped to have taken them out on the first run outside, but since the torrential downpours have returned, the treadmill got the honors.

This is my first pair of Brooks and I already love them! They feel like little pillows on my feet. They're not ultra-light, but I think the fact that my feet were cushioned in the right spots made me feel like they're lighter than they are. Since I have such flat feet, I not only need some arch support, which is built into the shoe, but an extra layer of support, which helps to increase stability. Unfortunately, when you have flat-feet, the motion in the middle of your foot can increase, changing the alignment of your leg. This can lead to foot, ankle, knee, and hip problems. All things you do not want to have while training to run 26.2. The other great part about this particular shoe is that I probably won't need to put in orthotics. I'll be able to tell once I've run more in them, but so far, I'm smitten.

70 more training runs to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment