Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Birthday Eve

Workout:
~3.25 mile run, approx 32 minutes
~Marathon Miles: 12.25

I DID NOT want to get out of bed this morning. At all. Not even a little. Not even with the sunshine. But I did. 95% of the reason I went is because I knew Lindsay and Neil were going to be there too. And they drive much further to get to work where we met to start than I do. So I sucked it up, threw on my gym clothes, and off to work I went. The weather was perfect and I'm really beginning to love running around Cambridge. There are so many little things I've never noticed while driving through that you get to see while running. I love reading all of the plaquards on the buildings telling me why it was important or what famous person did that it's named after.

The only major bummer of the run was the fact that about at mile 1.4, my left hamstring felt like a rubberband about to snap. I had my running pals go on without me so I could stretch. After a few minutes of stretching, it felt better. It didn't start to act up again until the very end. I polled some of my coworkers on some hamstring stretches. I need to spend more time stretching, especially after my runs. The physical therapists I talked to while I was rounding also mentioned that. This will be a must-do.

After a horrendous day at actual work, it's always nice to come home to a nice, home-cooked, lobster dinner. Wicked awesome benefit of living in the Northeast: cheap lobster. Even better: husband who knows how to cook it! Our friend Alexia is visiting for a few days, so we decided to bust out the lobster pot. Our little friends were so tasty, we ate them too quickly for me to snap a picture. But trust me, they were delicious! Paired with a salad, pretty healthy too! (I declined the drawn butter for dipping...trying to be healthy here!)

And for dessert...as I previewed in yesterday's post...Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp! I found this recipe in my usual way, searching blogs and stumbled upon this great, somewhat healthier version. Honey is used to sweeten up the rhubarb and strawberry mix. I didn't have cornstarch, so I substituted in brown rice flour. It was the perfect mix of sweet and tart, but not overly sweet like a lot of crisps tend to be. It also had just the right amount of topping to give it a little crunch, but not bog down the fruit. And it's perfect for breakfast with some greek yogurt :)

No comments:

Post a Comment