Sunday, February 17, 2013

Sicky Sunday


I'm sick. It sucks. I feel like I swallowed razor blades. Hot tea, water, and gallons of DayQuil are helping slightly. Hopefully, if I blow my nose a few million more times, there won't be much left. That remains to be seen. Very glad today is a rest day anyway.

When I have a cold, I like to eat spicy food to try to clear out those sinuses. I've also been feeling a bit deprived on the vegetable front the last day or two, so I made something that would give me both: Thai Turkey Stir Fry with Asian Greens. I found this recipe in a Runner's World issue from late last year. Gary and I made it last week and loved it! It's got a nice kick from the red pepper paste, some protein from the meat, and a crap ton of veggies. Just what I wanted! We had enough of the ingredients lying around that I was able to make it. You could definitely substitute other veggies or meats in as well (for instance, tonight I used elk meat, because that's what we had in the freezer. Yes elk. I realize this is not a staple of most people's freezers. But you can use ground turkey, chicken, beef, or buffalo as the original recipe suggests).


Thai Turkey Stir Fry with Asian Greens
adapted from Runner's World

Thai Buffalo Stir-Fry
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons roasted chili paste, divided
1 pound ground turkey
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
1 package fresh basil, chopped 
Red pepper flakes (optional)

—In a wok over high heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic and 1 tablespoon of the roasted red chili paste. Cook garlic for 30 seconds, add meat, and break up using a wooden spoon, cooking until beginning to brown. Add another tablespoon roasted chili paste, soy sauce, and dark brown sugar. Cook another minute. Add final 2 tablespoons of roasted chili paste. Add chopped basil and toss together. Remove from heat.

Quick-Cooked Asian Greens
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 large bok choy, chopped
1 head napa cabbage, chopped
2 cups red cabbage, shredded
2 tablespoons soy sauce

—In a hot wok, heat the coconut oil. Toss the bok choy, napa cabbage, and red cabbage into the wok and stir to coat with oil. Cook for two minutes. Add in soy sauce and cook one more minute. Greens should be crisp but still tender.

Hoping tomorrow and this week are better than last week! And for those of you who don't have to work tomorrow, enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment