Sunday, March 24, 2013

Help, I've fallen and I can't get up

Workout:
~Gentle Flow Yoga

Apparently housework CAN kill you. Or at least jack up your back. BAD. I decided with the coming of this beautiful spring weather, I would do some spring cleaning. After being hunched over for 15 minutes cleaning out the bottom shelves of the fridge and trying valiantly to scrape off God-knows-what that was spilled God-knows-when how long ago, I stood up. And immediately almost sat down. Holy searing back pain. Like fireworks down both of my legs. NOT cool. I thought eating ibuprofen and using my back massager all night would help. It did but not enough. When I tried to run today with the hubs, I made it about 5 steps. Great run. Definitely didn't get tired! But instead of completely bailing, I threw back another 800mg of NSAIDs and did a yoga on-demand program. The stretching felt great and was just what I needed.

I had a come-to-Jesus meeting with myself yesterday about training and weight loss and basically life in general. I have found that even if it's hard, don't throw in the towel. Even if I fall off the wagon, I need to get back on. Throw in whichever cliche necessary, but I the only one who can do this is me. So after perusing many blogs by people who have already accomplished what I'm trying to do, I came up with some basic things I need to do. Maybe this will help any of you who need a little help too.

1.  PLAN. I should be good at this. I'm the queen of list-making. I made a sheet with every day of the week. For each day there is a corresponding box for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and workout. This way, I can plan it all out. Obviously sometimes something will change, but I find I stick to it if it's already been decided much easier than going willy-nilly. 
2. BE POSITIVE. Unfortunately, I have a tendency to get down on myself for one little mistake. And then beat it to death. I can't do this. It's going to totally undermine me and everything I'm trying to do. So...SMILE. DEEP BREATH. I CAN DO THIS. 
3. PUT YOURSELF FIRST. I am very bad at this. GW can tell you that. I'm not saying I have to be selfish, but I do need to get my workouts in and if that means leaving work without everything done or not making an extravagant dinner, then so be it.

Yes, none of this is probably earth-shattering, especially to those of you who are already good at these things. But if it helps anyone else who is struggling, then that's all I can hope for.

Happy Sunday to everyone! Go Gators!

No comments:

Post a Comment